fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Friday, August 15, 2008

lately

"...most late Beethoven pieces take surprising courses. His earlier works tend to have a tone (which sometimes he names for us, as in the "Pathetique" and "Eroica") that propels a dramatic unfolding: We hear what happens to the pathos and the heroism. In his late works Beethoven turned away from such clear dramatic curves to more elusive and evocative trains of ideas whose effect he and his time called poetic. And in keeping with the turn from drama to poetry, he left the heroics behind."

(from Slate)


Hmm. Interesting distinction between the 'dramatic' and the 'poetic'. I'm not sure if I agree.

Whatever. I'm only just starting to discover late Beethoven. Methinks it's time to go listen to those last string quartets again.
...
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home