trees in the wind
How many different words do we have in English to describe the sound of the wind in the trees?
Rustle. Whisper. Murmur. Susurration. Sough. Psithurism. (Ok -- I confess one of those words was actually entirely unknown to me before I found it on Google today ...)
How is it that the English language is so impoverished when it comes to describing one of the most beautiful, soothing sounds in the natural world? When compared with the sheer variety of synonyms for 'cry', for example -- it really does give one pause.
I'm reminded of the 1994 film Nell, starring Jodie Foster as a young woman who'd been raised almost entirely in isolation by her mother in a cabin in the North Carolina mountains. After her mother's death, Nell is discovered by the local town doctor, who takes an interest in her case and eventually learns that the apparently undecipherable language she speaks is actually a distorted version of English. Most of the film escapes my mind -- but I do remember that Nell had a habit of standing in the outdoors with her face tilted up towards the sky and swaying in almost-ecstasy from side to side with her arms raised above her head, all the while murmuring to herself in her sing-song, lisping way, 'tey in the wey ... tey in the wey...' Which turned out to be her way of saying, 'tree in the wind'.
Why that one detail stands out for me so clearly, why it seems to me to epitomise something of the film's very essence -- I really can't say. It's just an odd detail that has stayed with me all these years, long after almost everything else about the film has long been lost to my memory.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home