fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Monday, September 02, 2013

the one thing needful

Good reminder...
.
---------------------------
.
Good decisions emerge from deep prayer
.
In the story of Martha and Mary (Lk 10:38-42), Jesus highlights two dimensions that must be balanced in the life of a Christian. We can recognize this balance in Pope Benedict. For eight years he was endlessly available to the needs of the Church. Then, as his health declined, he felt called to give priority to the contemplative dimension of life. I say ‘he felt called’ – he was open to hearing in his heart the quiet invitation of God. His decision to step down was born out of deep prayer and inner freedom.
.
How well do I balance in my life the Martha and the Mary? Do I ever ‘feel called’ by God? Am I quiet enough within to notice what God may be asking of me? Or do I never even imagine that I am sufficiently important for God to ask me anything? Do I rush into decisions and ignore ‘the still small voice’ which Elijah heard on the mountain? St Ignatius, although a busy administrator, advised against making any decision without first consulting God, ‘as a wise and loving Father’.
.
Openness to significant change also requires Benedict’s inner freedom. ‘To live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often’ says Newman. Am I truly alive and open to ‘new things’ (Isaiah 48:6) that have the touch of God about them? And finally, am I strong enough, as Benedict was, to go against the expectations of those around me in responding to God’s call?
.
.
(Gerry Whelan SJ)
.
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home