fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

against fanaticism

"Rational, secular intellectuals are not notably quick to take offense. Like Karl Popper, they tend to believe that: I must teach myself to distrust that dangerous intuitive feeling or conviction that it is I who am right. I must distrust this feeling however strong it may be. Indeed, the stronger it is, the greater is the danger that I may deceive myself; and, with it, the danger that I may become an intolerant fanatic."

(J.M. Coetzee)
...
...

2 Comments:

At Sun Sept 14, 12:35:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger gee_why said...

Oh, how appropriate for these times.

"We must not blink"..

 
At Sun Sept 14, 03:20:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger eothen said...

yeah. it was my commemorative post for the day. it's been, what, 7 years? still remember what i was doing when i heard the news. it was the day before some major exam-paper-setting meeting and at around 9+pm i was half-napping in my room when my mum came in and said, "the world trade centre has been attacked", and i was like, huh? who would want to attack our world trade centre?

the next day was really surreal - we were all sitting in the computer workroom typing out answer schemes while checking the bbc website every 10 minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home