fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

octet

Mendelssohn has always struck me as one of those unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) artists who never reached the heights of greatness simply because they were too happy. (Yes, I subscribe, shamelessly, to the 'great art comes out of great suffering' school of thought. So sue me.) So while I may enjoy his music, it's not often that it touches me at any deeper level. But I do like, very much, his Octet for Strings, Op 20. (With thanks to L for introducing this to me, even though she doesn't read this blog. I think.) It's such an exuberant, youthful, happy piece of music - the violins and violas rushing headlong into the sunlight, hats flying in the wind, and the cellos following behind, carrying the picnic baskets with the patient resignation of gruff, barely-concealed affection. The piece is a joy to watch in performance as well - I saw it played by some of the faculty members from the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory a few months back, and was struck by the energy and synergy of their collaborative effort, and by how much they enjoyed the music. Everyone needs to attend a performance like that once in a while, just to remind ourselves of what it means to take pleasure in the things we love.
...
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home