fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

minor fandom

Warning: casual language ahead. Do not read if you're searching for cheem-ness.

Well, yeah, there's major fandom of the Coetzee, Beethoven, and pre-2000 U2 genre, and then there's minor fandom like the kind that's driving me to contemplate going for Brit pianist Stephen Hough's concert this evening (checks time: 12:18am - yes, this evening), just because he's such a good musician, a passionate teacher, and a lovely person.

I first heard Hough in concert about seven or eight years ago, in the old days before the Esplanade. I remember that occasion because, firstly, his playing was good enough for me to be able to tell it was good, and secondly, because by some wonderful quirk of circumstance, I ended up tagging along with a group of music afficionados (of whom I only knew one other person) when they went off for supper with the soloist after the concert. He struck me as wonderfully down-to-earth, humble, and yet thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, and witty. (Yes, yes, I know - what can you tell after one encounter? But other people have agreed.)

So when I heard about the piano masterclass he was giving at Yong Siew Toh earlier this week, it didn't take much for me to make my way there, even at the expense of some other fairly important and urgent work that needed to be done. (Sleep can always be sacrificed. It's sometimes such a waste of time.) And I'm so glad I went. There's no way I could have known, simply from that one performance and suppertime encounter, what a good teacher Hough is. Teaching takes passion, quick-wittedness, sensitivity, tact, toughness, and confidence - and all this was evident in the way he took the students through some very challenging repertoire, at points leaping up from his seat to emphasise a point. He was one happy camper. And yet, he was always so subtly aware of exactly what each student's strengths and weaknesses were, and articulate enough to say exactly what needed to be said, in memorable language.

So, yeah, I left that masterclass on a musical and linguistic high. That's the first time I've come away from something that married both my loves so happily. Who needs cannabis when you've got good music ecstatically described with the best possible words in the best possible order?
...
...

2 Comments:

At Sat Oct 13, 06:04:00 am GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, nice to read this after hearing about it. Why "happy camper"?

'sfunny, your last line - did I ever say to you who needs drugs when you have books?

But it does convey the somewhat intoxicating quality of it all :)

- g in paree

 
At Sat Oct 13, 10:32:00 am GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

decided to go for the concert. sigh. i was right about the concert probably being a disappointment. really should learn to trust my instincts. both orhcestra and soloist kinda messed up big time. the encore piece (cos the audience insisted - don't think he wanted to) was this absolutely desolate grieg piece. felt really sorry for him. on the bright side, i did buy his cesar frank cd and i got his autograph anyway, not cos of this particular concert, but cos i know that he's generally a really good pianist. so now i've discovered cesar frank. :) and it IS a good cd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home