fanatic fandom

My other blog is a BMW. But this is a bandanna-pink Volkswagen Beetle - for flirty frivolous fun and fanatic fandom. This is where i get to play the bimbonic-geek and rave, enthuse, bitch and rant about anything and everything under the sun. Feel free to chip in!

Saturday, July 05, 2008

more of it than we think

I've been thinking about literature, and my relation to it. Until not too long ago, literature was my religion: I looked to it for Answers, for some way of living life, of understanding and finding one's way around the world. I think that, in a vague kinda way, I thought (or hoped) that words had the power to change the world - one idea at a time, one person at a time.

All of these beliefs still hold true for me, I think, but to a much lesser extent than in the past. Now, the main role that literature plays for me is as a counterbalance or even a corrective to religious fundamentalism, to the kind of closed-up, totalising perspective on the world that threatens anyone who embraces any kind of religious faith. It's also my refuge - 'the refuge of art', as Nabokov puts it in the gorgeous, swoon-inducing closing paragraph of Lolita. It's the space where anything can be thought and said, where being merely human is treated with an honesty, a forthrightness, and sometimes a kindness and sympathy, that the more dogmatic strains of religion often do not make room for. In other words, it's my antidote to myopia and goody-two-shoe-ness.

I think I'll also have to ask my friends to alert me if they see any signs of myopia and goody-two-shoe-ness emerging in my attitudes and behaviour. I'd hate to forget the world's more-of-it-than-we-think-ness, its incorrigible plurality.
...
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home